8 essentials I can’t live without as God’s child
In his book ‘Lessons from a Third Grade Dropout’, Doctor Rick Rigsby, a best-selling author and recognized motivational speaker said this “Ours is a visual world with citizens who delight in those who appear gifted or great. Thus we find it pleasantly acceptable for morality to be replaced my materialism, principle by popularity and character by convenience”
Most times when someone asks what we can’t live without we think of what we can see- our material possessions- houses, cars, shoes, clothes or what makes us popular- man’s approval and applause. But the Bible speaks in Matthew 26:16 ‘For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?’
The things we can’t live without are usually not material possessions, they are deeper and more meaningful than that. They are the things that bring us joy, that feed our souls and that fulfill the deepest longings of our hearts.
Here are the 8 things I can’t live without as a child of God:
1. God’s word
- Have you ever sat in church and the preacher started to speak about your exact situation. I’ve sat in church, discouraged, thinking of quitting my faith because well… let’s just say being a child of God and adulting at the same time isn’t easy.
- I’ve been disappointed and let down by people, I’ve prayed for situations and they don’t change as fast as I’d like, I’ve prayed for healing and it didn’t come at the time I preferred. And I thought of giving up, throwing in the towel and leaving God.
- Then God’s word comes, just in time (like in the movies when the super hero saves the day just in time) and I remember God’s promises and that I need to keep my focus on Him, that He is my hope and strength, that He has a plan and is working all things out for my good after all.
- I’ve remembered God’s word in an argument with my husband wanting to say words that we would spend years getting counselling on and not said anything but rather breathed deeply recognizing the enemy at work in our marriage.
- I can’t live without God’s word, whether I hear it in church, read my Bible myself, get encouraged by someone, watch and listen to it on social media or remember it when I need it. God’s word has been and continues to be my life, my number 1 coping mechanism and my saving grace.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says ‘Pray without ceasing’. These days I’m working on praying in the morning when I wake up and at night when I sleep. I pray, even just for a few minutes to thank God for a good day or a good nights’ sleep.
- I’m also one person who prays at a moment’s notice. I pray as I drive, as I walk into the office in the morning, as I work on difficult projects, as I’m giving a presentation at work.I pray as I lie in bed, as l’m doing my weekly grocery shopping. I pray wherever I am.
- Prayer is my lifeline. I can’t live without it. If you are a busy mom looking for a guide to find prayer time daily, read my article here.
3. God’s presence
- One of the reasons why I pray throughout my day is because I know God is always with me and I feel his presence surrounding me. I know I’m never alone. I don’t have fear because I know He is going to help me and guide me in everything I will be doing. Having an ever present God has been life changing for me and you can read my story here.
4. My Family
- Let’s just say when I say family I mean F-A-M-I-L-Y-! Not just my husband and daughters. Not just my parents and siblings. But I have cousins, aunts and in-laws who are a big part of my life. These are people I grew up with, who raised me, who loved me even at my lowest and who cared and sacrificed for me. We have our ups and downs but I love my family and can’t imagine life without them!
5. My praise and worship music
- I can’t sing to save my life. That’s why I wonder how at one time when l was a teen, someone convinced me to join the church choir. And I joined (yes, definitely, I’m a recovering people pleaser). I have no idea what I was doing there and thank God it was a short lived stint.
- But I still love music. And especially praise and worship music. Praise and worship leads me to prayer and keeps my mind focused on Jesus. It brings me so much joy and I can’t live without it.
6. My favourite podcast
- Can I just say I love Chrystal Evans Hurst. I discovered her about 2 years ago when she launched her book ‘She’s still there’. It’s probably one of my favourite books of all time and I’ve read it a few times
- In the book Chrystal cheers us as women to go back to the life we were meant to live with purpose, direction and satisfaction. You can read more tips from the book that have helped me to stop being a perfectionist in this article.
- Chrystal has a podcast called the ‘The Chrystal chronicles’ which I listen to weekly on my drive to and from work. I love her voice, her words, her encouragement and her realness. She makes my day and week! And she’s Priscilla Shirer’s sister!
7. My dreams and goals
- In the past year I’ve started actually putting into motion the realization of my dreams. This blog, which has been in existence since the beginning of 2019 is part of my dream. I want to be part of the people that bring Christian content into this world, transform lives in the process and point people to Jesus Christ. Sometimes my dreams scare me, but then I know they are God dreams.
- I won’t be able to achieve my goals and dreams by myself. Only God will make them happen using me. I have dreams to create Christian movies in Africa, dreams to have Christian women retreats and entertainment centres for Christians. I love my dreams and know that God will fulfill them no matter how long and hard the road will be because He put those desires in my heart.
8. Youversion App
- This app has made reading the Bible such a joy and so much easier! I try to intentionally read my paper Bible in order not to be too distracted on the phone but the You verson app has helped me read the Bible way more. And the Bible Plans are short and effective. I can’t live without it!
My encouragement to you
I’ve personally found that as a child of God, while you can aim to have the physical and materials possessions, you will hardly enjoy them without the people you love. And without God in your life, and all the things that build a godly character and godly principles, you will not have the peace and joy you need. Those are the things you really can’t live without.
So beyond the material things we see with our naked eyes, think about the things that will build your soul, your character and spend more time doing those things. And start storing up treasures in heaven.
Lord I thank you that you are all I need in this world. Your word tells me to seek you first and your righteousness, and all the other things can be added unto me. Thank you for your love, saving grace, your word and your presence in my life. Turn my heart from too much focus on the things of this world which are perishing and turn it to what is eternal-the feeding of my soul and what bring me closer to you.
In Jesus name I pray. Amen
What are some things you can’t live without as a child of God? Share below so we can also be encouraged!