Everyone wants to be successful in life, including Christians. We want to be accomplished, victorious and experience great triumph in our endeavors. But the ultimate keys to success in life as a Christian are not the same as than of a non-believer. Because of that, it’s important that we understand the keys to success according to the Bible.
What are the indicators of a successful person (according to the world)?
- Money (oops, yes I started with that one) -being free from money problems and debt is considered a huge indicator of success
- Business or career success- having a top management job in a company or owning a thriving business is considered a success
- Being married to a loving and supportive spouse- you may be surprised how many single women consider this an indicator of success. And they see themselves as ‘not successful because they are not married yet’ even if they have their dream car, house or career.
- Being a famous celebrity is an indicator of a successful person
What are some keys to success in life that the world tells us?
According to the world, in order to unlock the indicators of success these are the keys you need to have:
- Hard work
- Believing in yourself
- Setting goals and achieving them
- The right education
- Finding the right spouse
The problem with the indicators and keys to worldly success
The indicators of success and keys of success don’t seem to be enough. Why do I say that?
- How many celebrities do you know with all the money in the world have committed suicide?
- You can have a top management job yet hate the job and just doing it to pay the bills- yet to the outside world, you look successful
- If marriage is an indicator of success, are the single and divorced not successful?
- How many people are successful in their careers yet have lost their families on the way to the top?
So, are the world’s keys to success really working? My answer is a BIG, FAT NO.
None of the keys to success by themselves without God will ever work.
God wants His children to be successful
“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.“Jeremiah 29:11
The misconception among Christians tends to be that God doesn’t want us to be successful. But Jeremiah 29:11 tells us the real truth. As a good and loving Father, God’s plans and thoughts towards us are that of a successful future, filled with peace and hope.
Because of that truth, as Christians we should have big goals and dreams for our lives. There’s no sin in that at all.
There are different types of success
Joshua 1:8 is an amazing verse which gives us the keys to success as Christians!
“This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success“Joshua 1:8 (NKJV)
The first thing here is God promises us good success. This tells me that there’s bad success. There are times I’ve found myself as a Christian admiring non-believers success. But the truth is we wouldn’t want success without God. It wouldn’t give us peace or joy.
Because we live in a fallen world, we can become convinced that God’s word will not help us to be successful. We can tend to believe that the keys to success are- our hard work, our connections, our education. But the Bible gives us the keys to good, real and long-lasting success.
The 3 Ultimate Keys to Success in life as a Christian
1. Speak God’s word constantly
According to Joshua 1:8, the 1st key to good success is not to let God’s word leave our mouths. It’s to talk about God’s word constantly
How to ensure God’s word doesn’t depart from your mouth
1. Prayer: praying God’s word in all situations and circumstances. Pray for your goals and dreams. Ask God to bless them so you can be successful in Him and according to His will and ways. Learn to pray according to the Bible.
“Commit your works to the Lord,Proverbs 16:3
And your thoughts will be established.”
2. Declarations: declaring God’s promises that are in His word on your situation. If you’re working on a big goal or dream declare success over it.
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”Philippians 4:13
Speaking this truth over your life gives you confidence to trust in God for your success.
3. Conversations: when you’re talking with those around you include God’s word. Speak about God’s word in conversations daily with family, friends or colleagues. It’s important to speak God’s word and learn from each other what His word is revealing to us.
2. Meditate on God’s word day and night
The 2nd key to good success is thinking deeply about God’s word and focusing on it for that’s when it starts having an impact on your life. You can’t read God’s word like you’re reading a novel. God’s word is powerful, and active.
It’s when we meditate on it that it starts making a difference in our lives. There are many great benefits of meditating on God’s word and this is an important habit to start practicing.
“Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.“Psalm 119:11
“Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.“Psalm 37:4
3. Practice God’s word daily
You might be able to speak, and you may be able to mediate on God’s word but the last key is crucial. You need to act on what you know, what you say and what you memorize.
Knowing that you should pray, speaking about prayer, meditating about prayer but actually NOT praying will not change a thing in your life. Only praying will do that. So that key is doing.
“But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.”James 1:22
My encouragement to you:
While the world gives us a lot of keys to success, these by themselves will not give us good success. The ultimate keys to success in life as a Christian start with God’s word. That’s the priority. When we study God’s word, speak His promises and practice it we can then work hard, get the right education, network, persevere because He will help us through it all.
Lord thank you that I have big goals and dreams in my life. Thank you that Your word has the keys to my success. Forgive me for only looking to the world for the keys and secrets to a successful life. Now I choose to look to you first. Help me to desire Your word daily. Help me study and meditate upon it, speak it and practice it. I want to have good success and I’m so glad that as my Father you want that for me too and because You’re with me always, I believe I can be successful.
In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen